Subject: Voice-over Flubs

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Wed Feb 27 02:47:07 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----

My family went up for "Expo '67", and I was surprised at how
much stronger WMEX was at night in Montreal than where I was
growing up in west suburban Newton, where their directional
groundwave was especially weak at night. WRKO (and of course
WBZ) were loud and strong at night as well.

>Then in 1967 WRKO became popular at night in Montreal as the
>Top 40 station there CFOX had a hideous nighttime signal that
>could not make it into downtown.

I don't remember catching CFOX, but I was impressed with the
Top 40 that was on CKGM, then at 980. According to on-line
histories, CKGM wasn't yet Top 40 full-time in 1967 and was
running talk shows at times, but they were Top 40 during the
times of day when I caught them, sounding somewhat like WMEX.
I remember that they also had a remote DJ booth on the air
from the Expo.

EP