observation about WEEI

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Feb 26 13:29:19 EST 2008

I wouldn't be so sure Radio Disney has no listeners.  Their target
market is children 6-11, which isn't encompassed in the 12+ ratings.
It's not the kind of station adults are going to write into a ratings
diary.  There's a reason ABC kept their Radio Disney stations when
they sold off the rest of their radio division.  Believe it or not,
Radio Disney makes money.  There are quite a few local sponsors on
1260.  Jordan's Furniture used to be a major client on that station.
I don't know if they're still on anymore.  Considering there is no
local programming, and the service is free to WMKI since they're
owned by the Mouse, I'm sure the local spotload more than covers the
handful of salaries and overhead.

1510 could be an option, but their new owners seem to like the
brokered programming route rather than actively selling content so I
doubt they'd do it.  I still think someone will try all sports on FM,
and if the ESPN affiliation becomes available, I could see Greater
Media or CBS jumping in and flipping one of their FM's to sports and
mixing local shows along with the ESPN programming.   With all three
sports networks cleared in this market, a potential FM sports talker
would not have had any content for nights and weekends.  The ESPN
affiliation becoming available makes FM sports talk a viable option.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"