Music Till Dawn on WEEI

PeterH5322 peterh5322@rattlebrain.com
Mon Feb 25 14:05:17 EST 2008

> (The allocations situation with 1010 in Toronto is not dissimilar to
> the issues with 1060 in Philadelphia.  In both cases, a late-arrival
> class-IB station has to protect a much older class-II station to its
> east, with the result being a much tighter directional pattern than
> was usual for clear-channel stations.)

Canadian Class I-As are: 540, 690, 740, 860, 990, 1010 and 1580.

540 was Watrous, than Regina, and now Watrous, again.

This was exclusive to Canada until the U.S.-Mexican agreement was signed
in about 1955, whereupon Mexico got a Class I-A on 540, the only case of
two co-channel Class I-As. I don't know what the Canadians were up to.
They should have defended their I-A allocation on 540 more effectively.

540 is the result of reducing the "same market" minimum channel
separation from 50 kHz before 1941 to 40 kHz after 1941, and extending
the BCB down to 540 from 550.

The international MW emergency channel is (was then) 500 KHz, and every
market, everywhere had to protect 500 KHz, so by reducing the "same
market" spacing to 40 kHz, 540 KHz thereby became available.

In this respect, 500 Khz is considered to be a channel which is allocated
to EVERY market, EVERYWHERE, although only on an emergency basis.

690 is Montreal. Somehow, Mexico got a Class I-B on 690, but the I-A is
in Montreal.

740 is in Toronto. As with most I-As, there are no other Class Is on 740.

860 is in Toronto. As with most I-As, there are no other Class Is on 860.

990 is in Winnipeg, ND1, as are almost all I-As. There were no other
Class Is on 990. There is now another, in Newfoundland, grandfathered at
10 kW.

1010 is in Calgary. DA-1 as are a few I-As.

1010 came from the U.S. allocations. KQW in San Jose, which some say was
the first commercial BC station, was on 1010.

Calgary's DA accomplishes two things: first, its pattern minimum is
pointed directly at New York, but, of course, Toronto is in a direct line
between Calgary and New York, and second, Calgary's pattern maximum is
pointed directly at San Jose, and which dramatically reduces the
usefulness of 1010 in Southwestern U.S., but most particularly in the San
Francisco Bay area.

If CTRC wants to call CFRB a Class I-B, then why not as Canada
effectively "owns" 1010. The fact that WINS is in New York just means
that CFRB will have to protect Calgary and any other 1010, even one of
lesser class which existed before. Including the 1010 in Little Rock,
which Westinghouse bought and took dark as Little Rock's pattern maximum
was pointed directly at WINS.

At least two of CFRB's notified patterns still protects Little Rock, and
those notifications are for a Class B station in Toronto.

It is the most recent notifications of CFRB which are for a Class A, and
which do not protect Little Rock, although these do protect Calgary and
New York.

1580 remained one of only two I-As which was operating at 10 kW. The
other was 1540, on which the U.S. had a 50 kW Class I-B.

(The night pattern for the U.S. Class I-B on 1540 allowed for a U.S.
Class I-B in the Southwestern U.S., most probably Los Angeles or Phoenix,
but Los Angeles was built as a Class II-B, while Phoenix got a Class II-D
daytimer on 1540, and Mexico got a Class II-B in Hermosillo, and which
has since moved or has been deleted).

"Rio" forced the two I-As which were operating at 10 kW to operate at 50
kW, and both CBU (1580) and ZNS-1 (1540) installed DAs and operated with
50 kW after "Rio".

CBU went to FM and the Class A on 1580 was moved several times, both at
10 kW.

Concurrently with "Rio" the Class II-B on 1580 in Hermosillo, which had
been operating ND with 100 kW days and 50 kW nights was forced to abandon
100 kW operations.

"Rio" also allowed any non-U.S. and non-Canadian Class A to increase day
power from whatever they were before "Rio" to 100 kW days after "Rio",
yet the night power had to remain as before, which meant 10 kW for the
three Mexicans on 1000, 1140 and 1190, which were grandfathered at 10 kW.

So far, 1000 is now operating with 50 kW days and 10 kW nights, and 1190
is now operating with 50 kW days and 10 kW nights, but 1140 is still
operating with 10 kW days and nights, although all are free to operate
with 100 kW days and 50 kW nights, although operating above 10 kW nights
will require a DA at least during night operations, and possibly also
during day operations.

With specific reference to 1060 in Philadelphia, recall that clear
channels used to be 10 kW, and so also was KYW when in Chicago, and upon
its initial operations in Philadelphia.

NARBA gave the U.S. Class II-B priorities on 1050 and 1220, with the
proviso being that New York and Cleveland were to be the COLs, and that
operations were to be 50 kW DA-1, and that the entire U.S-Mexican border,
and any point within the boundaries of "The United Mexican States" be
protected during all hours.

This causes some grief for KYW, then at 10 kW, and presumably ND1, and
once the required parameters for the installation of a complying 50 kW
DA-1 operation on 1050 in New York were determined, the parameters for a
50 kW operation in Philadelphia could be determined.

In essence, the international allocation to New York of a Class II-B on
1050 determined the fate of a U.S. Class I-B in Philadelphia.

The Class I-B in Mexico, D.F. on 1060 is 100 kW days, 20 kW nights, ND.
50 kW days, before "Rio".

So, KYW "elected" (that is, it was forced to) install a widely-spaced DA
which protects New York with its adjustable nulls, and it also protects
Mexico, D.F., with the pattern minima which is not adjustable except by
changing the array spacing.

I suppose KYW could have installed a three-tower DA, with two
conventionally-spaced towers during days, and which protected only New
York, and two widely-spaced towers during nights, and which protected New
York as well as Mexico, D.F., but Westinghouse elected not to do so.

The present DA-1 at KYW is no worse than the DA-1 on 1140 at Richmond,
although it seems pretty clear that Richmond started out as a I-A with
DA-1 on 1110.

"Rio" also forced Class I-Bs, now called Class As, to protect
first-adjacents if their facilities changed.

So, Cincinnati's 1530 installed a four-tower DA which protects 1520
(Buffalo) and 1540 (ZNS-1) at night, along with providing better night
service to the COL, when its former three-tower DA was destroyed and was
rebuilt.