Music Till Dawn on WEEI

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 11:16:15 EST 2008

NBC didn't get 4 in Chicago as WBKB came first. Then in a complicated
move we discussed a few weeks ago. CBS bought WBKB and moved it to
Channel 2 and changed the calls to WBBM. The WBKB calls moved to
Channel 7 and later became WLS.

This all happened for 2 reasons. The FCC had to move WTMJ Milwaukee
from channel 3 as it was to close to another 3 in Michigan. ABC had to
sell either 4 or 7 because of a merger with Paramount and elected to
keep 7 because of the NY connection. CBS only paid 6 million for WBKB
but got the O&O it craved in Chicago.

Having NBC move to channel 4 at that point would have been problematic
as you really couldn't give WTMJ channel 5 as Milwaukee was also
assigned the vacant channel 6 that was held up by the freeze.

Today Channel 6 in Milwaukee is involved in a curious move by FOX as
they are selling a number of the old Storer stations they bought from
New World. Before the sale New World made 6 a FOX affilate dropping
CBS for one reason...to keep the Milwaukee rights to the Packers.