Music Till Dawn on WEEI

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Feb 25 00:43:47 EST 2008

<<On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:09:49 -0500, kvahey@comcast.net said:

> CBC got all the Canadian clears with the exception of French 730 in
> Montreal which was one of the few private broadcasters allowed to beam
> south.

Not so.  See
<http://gallery.bostonradio.org/2004-09/nrcbatavia/100-02247-med.html>.

You forgot, at a minimum, CFRB, CFCN, and CKY.  (I believe CFCN and
CKY were privately-owned CBC affiliates, and both stations moved to
other channels when they dropped the CBC affiliation some time after
WW2.  This allowed CBW to take over 990 in Winnipeg, and the new CBR
to take over 1010 in Calgary; meanwhile, the old CBR had become CBU,
moving to 690 and opening up 1130 for a commercial station in
Vancouver.)  CFRB had been on 690 (a clear channel) before NARBA, and
moved to 860 (one of the new Canadian clear channels) thereafter.
Although the CBC (then the regulator as well as the public
broadcaster) later forced CFRB to swap 860 for its 1010 signal in
Toronto, CFRB remained a clear-channel station: 1010 was a class-IB.

(The allocations situation with 1010 in Toronto is not dissimilar to
the issues with 1060 in Philadelphia.  In both cases, a late-arrival
class-IB station has to protect a much older class-II station to its
east, with the result being a much tighter directional pattern than
was usual for clear-channel stations.)

-GAWollman