Music Till Dawn on WEEI

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Feb 24 17:31:39 EST 2008

At 04:50 PM 2/24/2008, kvahey@comcast.net wrote:
>I have a question that has puzzled me for years. How the heck did WNAC
>wind up with such a lousy dial position and signal? They got shafted
>being sent to 1260. Did Shepherd have problems with Washington?

True that.  Shepard and the FCC did not get along. (For those not
familiar with the late great John Shepard 3rd, he is a forgotten
pioneer of broadcasting... I don't know if Garrett put up my new and
revised history of his achievements, but they go on for pages and
pages)... Shepard and the FCC had a love-hate relationship.  Shepard
believed very strongly in law and order-- the concept of justice, not
the TV show-- and he was by all accounts a conservative
Republican.  But when it came to the FCC, he often disliked the way
they used their power.  Conversely, the FCC thought Shepard was a
pain in the butt-- he was outspoken and frequently complained about
what he felt were excessive and arbitrary rules and regulations that
favoured the big networks (NBC and CBS) at the expense of the "little
guy".  The so-called Mayflower Decision was ostensibly about making
sure stations were neutral about politics, but it was really a way to
get back at Shepard-- long story, better told some other time.

Anyway, before the FCC came along in 1934, there was the FRC (Federal
Radio Commission), created by the Radio Act of 1927.  The members
were mostly big corporate guys, and they didn't seem to like Shepard
much either.  (In fairness, people who knew him said he could be
really annoying-- arrogant, tactless, impatient.  BUT he was
passionately committed to local broadcasting, including local news
and local music.  He was remarkably egalitarian for his era, putting
women into executive positions, hiring black musicians as early as
1922, putting a rabbi and synagogue services on the air, and fighting
for radio's right to get press credentials and cover news like the
newspapers did.)  The FRC didn't do WNAC any favours by giving the
station such a poor dial position, while giving NBC's stations much
of what they wanted, and removing 123 popular community stations from
the air for no apparent reason-- not surprising though.  They were
pro-NBC, pro-GE, pro-CBS, and not big fans of local broadcasters whom
they perceived as constantly complaining.  Shepard fought the poor
dial position for years, but to no avail.  It didn't change till
after he died.  That's one reason he started the Yankee network and
the Colonial Network-- to try to get his programming on stations with
better dial positions and more powerful signals.