Music Till Dawn on WEEI

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Feb 24 13:08:22 EST 2008

>Dan wrote--
>I have read, however, that before it acquired 590, CBS had tried to
>buy 680 because it was known even then that a power increase to 50 kW
>would be possible. I think I read that CBS and the then owners of WLAW
>(the Hildreth family??) thought they had a deal at one point but the
>deal fell through, at which point CBS struck the deal to buy 590.

Couple of things here.  Much of Dan's recollection is accurate, but
the folks who owned WLAW and the Eagle-Tribune were the Rogers
family, who ultimately decided it was too expensive to run a radio
station and sold it off (they had put it on the air in December of 1937)

As for "Music Till Dawn," it went on the air in 1953, sponsored by
American Airlines, and the CBS network was where the show seemed to
be, based on all of my files...  WBZ had Jerry & Sky in 1953.  "Music
Till Dawn" was cancelled in 1969 and the critics  in just about every
market where the show had run were very very very upset by
that.  According to a couple of program guides I found from 1954, it
absolutely was on WEEI at that time.  It also ran on WCBS, which you
could certainly hear in Boston late at night.