Music Till Dawn on WEEI

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Feb 24 10:59:10 EST 2008

If I'm not mistaken, CBS bought WEEI 590 outright in 1937 after
several years of LMAing the facility from Boston Edison. 590 was
absolutely Boston's best 5 kW AM signal and, even after 680 and 850
increased to 50 kW shortly after WWII, 590 was thought by many to be
fully equivalent in coverage, in the daytime anyhow, to WHDH 850 and
WLAW 680. Each signal had its strong points: 680 in New Hampshire and
Cape Cod, 590 in inland areas of the South Shore, and 850 in the
close-in the western suburbs. (Remember that 680 did not switch from
DA-1 to DA-2 operation until decades later.)

I have read, however, that before it acquired 590, CBS had tried to
buy 680 because it was known even then that a power increase to 50 kW
would be possible. I think I read that CBS and the then owners of WLAW
(the Hildreth family??) thought they had a deal at one point but the
deal fell through, at which point CBS struck the deal to buy 590.

Anyhow CBS apparently liked the Boston market and was even the first
company to propose siteing a Boston TV station in the Needham/Newton
area, where, in an application filed with the FCC as the end of the
'50s TV freeze approached, it said it would locate its proposed
WEEI-TV Channel 5. When it became apparent that the FCC did not look
with favor on its application (I think because of the large number of
stations it owned in other markets--there were MANY competing
applicants for the Boston Channel 5), CBS withdrew the application.
Channel 5 was eventually granted to the Herald Traveler, which built
WHDH-TV, but later lost the license in a legal challenge from Boston
Broadcasters. which replaced WHDH-TV with WCVB.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367