Talkers Magazine Heavy 100

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Wed Feb 20 13:47:16 EST 2008

It's not really all that surprising.  Talkers is skewed to a very
conservative audience, and issue oriented talk is what they deal with
primarily.  Sports talk personalities got the short straw on this
list, along with progressive talkers.  Many mid and lower level
conservative talkers rated higher than the highest sports talker,
Mike and the Mad Dog.  I mean, Mancow and Mark Levin in the top 15?
Really?  And Opie & Anthony #17, despite losing just about all their
major affiliates in the last year?  That's ridiculous.   In many
markets, sports talk stations have much higher power ratios and make
more money than their traditional talk counterparts.  Sports
personalities like Ordway and Mike & Mike should have placed much
higher on that list, as sports seems to be the trend in talk radio in
general.  Ordway beats Carr regularly in both ratings and revenue,
and if you think Carr and Dennis & Callahan fetched big bucks when
their contracts came up for renewal, just wait for the payday the Big
O is going to get when his deal ends later this year.  While I detest
D&C, they should have made this list.  Sure they talk sports, but
they also spew plenty of the right wing hate Talkers seems to find so
endearing.  They are much more "influential" than some two-bit local
conservatalker in a medium market.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"