WBZ's historical signal in VT

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 16:23:26 EST 2008

Hi Don:

Part of the problem with WBZ's super signal at night
is..... it's super signal.  Let me explain.  If you
get WBZ during the day fairly well during the day,
chances are the signal will be fairly diminished at
night due to the "cancellation effect" of a
combination strong groundwave and strong skywave
fighting themselves out.  'BZ's nighttime signal
beyond about 200-250 miles out should be very strong
as there are no vestiges of the groundwave left.  It's
all skywave by then.  However, up in the Northeast
Kingdom of Vermont, you're still somewhat too close to
be able to get the full fury of 'BZ's skywave
reception.  Now, up in towards Quebec City and
Montreal, it's quite a different story. It's nothing
but skywave by then.

The Green Mountains are, indirectly, not at fault for
'BZ's signal problems in Vermont.  AM is not really
susceptable to mountain blockages like FM is.  BUT,
the ground conductivity has plenty to do with AM
coverage.  I believe the ground conductivity in areas
like Vermont of Upstate New York are practically 0.5,
compared to a 20-30 level in areas such as Kansas,
Nebraska et.al.  An AM station with only 250 watts can
cover for hundreds of miles in the midwest, while here
in the east you're lucky if you can cover 25-30 miles
at best.

So, hopefully this info may help you.  Good luck and
good listening. 73.

-Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
 Whitman, Massachusetts

--- Don A <donald_astelle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know there are people on this list who have longer
> roots to this area than
> I and have been wondering about WBZ's signal over
> the years.
>
> By reputation WBZ has one of the best signals in the
> country.  From what I
> understand, WBZ's signal has not changed over the
> years.
>
> I have picked up WBZ here in Northern Vermont
> sometimes like a local at
> night.
>
> Other times it is simply not there.
>
> I know that some people in NH get the signal every
> night ...but in No.VT...I
> can't seem to get it reliably.  (I don't know about
> the Southern part of the
> state.)
>
> Has the signal been this spotty in Vermont for most
> of BZ's history?  Is it
> the mountainous terrain?
>
> Thanks

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)