An Appreciation of Jess Cain

Ed Forry eforry@bostonirish.com
Thu Feb 14 12:58:26 EST 2008

I mourn the loss of our great friend, Jess Cain who passed this
morning, Valentine's Day, at his home in the Back Bay.
I published an appreciation of Jess back in May, 2005, when he had
been nominated for the radio hall of fame. It began:
"You are a Real Bostonian if you can recall the names of Sidney
Flack, Hap Smiley, or Pressgate Fenway.
They were the comic creations of the great Jess Cain, the man who
virtually invented the genre of local
morning radio on the old WHDH, 850 on the AM dial, and a man who
helped several generations of Boston
radio listeners to wake up and greet each new day with a smile."  The
full text, as well as Greg O'Brien's June,
2005 profile of Jess is online at www.bostonirish.com Also, Jordan
Rich  plans to devote a full hour
to remember Jess on his WBZ radio program, on Friday night, Feb 15
beginning just after midnight (2/16)