XM Radio

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 13:38:32 EST 2008

The home announcers only doesn't bother me - the Extra Innings package usually runs the same way. I want to get in out of town teams that are now either on inferior signals, FM or being blocked out by IBOC - Mets, Pirates, Phillies, Yankees, Indians. Once there was a time I could get each one of them on a 50K (usually clear channel) AM signal.

----- Original Message ----
From: Aaron Read <friedbagels@gmail.com>
To: m_carney@yahoo.com; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:50:53 PM
Subject: XM Radio

Maureen, one thing about getting XM for MLB Baseball coverage: they use
the announcers from the home team of whatever field they're at.  So you
hear Red Sox announcers when the game is at Fenway, but Blue Jays
announcers when the game is at Toronto or Yankees announcers when the
game's at New York.

That was the deciding factor for me to pass on XM and live with mediocre
skywave from WTIC 1080AM here in the Finger Lakes.  It ain't great, but
it beats paying $13/mo to hear announcers that I loathe for half the season.

I did write to XM about it and was pleasantly surprised to get a
response.  The bottom line was they couldn't afford to devote enough
channels to have the team's announcers on for every game, and couldn't
do it for some teams and not others without getting slapped with bad
publicity.  I don't begrudge them that, but it doesn't change my
decision to not buy the service.

If you have an internet-enabled cellphone, you might be able to pay for
internet access to the games and listen to them that way...but of course
it'll mean dropouts as you move around and signal levels change.

Aaron Read          |  Fried Bagels Consulting
friedbagels@gmail.com  |  (315) 521-0569 cell
Rochester, NY 14618    |  WEOS 89.7FM Geneva, NY