WCAP transition (was: Buzz Knight talks about changes at 92.9)

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:54:30 EST 2008

Roger Kirk wrote:
> Find the one with the most music and the least talk.  Have no loyalty.
>
> From my limited observations, it would appear that Hispanic Radio does
> not yet suffer from this problem.

Neither does Talk.  I have to admit that I am a bit biased when it comes
to WCAP, but what is becoming a bit of a 'hybrid' or full-service local
station seems to have good calculus behind it.  With a jockless niche
music format during selected dayparts, there is some branding going on
that can be played around with on the schedule. With local news/talk
that is more of a broad-spectrum (versus straight politics) there is
wider appeal in the car.  (Now that WCAP is streaming audio), I am
noticing some flexibility with displacing bird-fed talk with local, as
needed.

I have heard of the death of full-service, local, AM, etc. on this list
for over 10 years (yikes) but for some reason I've never hopped in the
sack on that one. It may still be 'too soon to tell' to borrow a phrase
from politics, but with the manner in which some signals are being
slowly morphed to MP3 players, someone out there will need to pick up
the slack - the demand by listeners for an aural option that relates to
the town square.

Bill O'Neill