WRGB is back!

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun Feb 3 11:00:33 EST 2008

Doug Drown wrote:
> This is the point I've been making for a long time.  People in the Capital
> District (and many elsewhere) know WRGB.  They know Channel 6, Schenectady.
> So why not call it WRGB 6 (wrgb6.com) or something similar?  It's not an
> Albany station; it's never been identified with Albany in its whole 80-year
> history.  And the "CBS6" thing, IMHO, is a diminution of history.  CBS found
> that out in Boston, didn't they?  (Whatever happened to "CBS4"?)

Anyone else here actually been to Schenectady lately? The city has
fallen on very hard times in recent decades. With the exception of a few
bright spots (Proctor's Theatre, Union College), the city really doesn't
have much of anything going for it these days. GE is still there, but
not as the driving economic force it used to be. Even the local paper no
longer brands itself as the "Schenectady Gazette." It's the "Daily
Gazette," and it markets itself as much to outlying Schoharie County and
Amsterdam as it does to Schenectady proper.

To the extent that the market area served by WRGB has any economic
vitality at all, it's due to the presence of the state capital in Albany
and to a certain amount of suburban growth that's been mainly along the
I-87 Northway corridor in northern Albany and southern Saratoga
counties. That's not an area that associates much, if at all, with
"Schenectady."

So I guess I can't really fault WRGB for trying to brand itself as
something other than a "Schenectady" station. There's not a lot of
"Schenectady" branding anymore on WGY, either - and its studios haven't
even been in Schenectady County for the last 15 years or so.