Scary news about the analog TV phaseout!

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Feb 2 02:24:44 EST 2008

There are also many channels on the Canadian services that play
primarily Canadian Content. That was the deal XM and Sirius struck with
the CRTC to expand their reach north of the border.  Much of that stuff
is gosh-awful and the handful of hits get ridiculously overplayed.
This stuff can be found in abundance on local terrestrial stations.
Satellite listeners in Canada are burnt out on the Cancon, and getting
the US service gives them a much wider variety of music to choose from.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"

On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:13 PM, Howard Glazer wrote:

> A similar situation exists in satellite radio. Canadians are supposed
> order their XM and Sirius service through those companies' Canadian
> units.
> However, the Canadian service does not include several channels
> available to
> US listeners, so Canadians set up phony PO Box addresses in the states
> for
> billing purposes and subscribe to the full-lineup American service.
> You'd
> think both companies would have done everything possible to make it
> close to
> impossible for Canadians to do that, since grey-market subs take badly
> needed money away from Sirius Canada and the struggling XM Canada, but
> they
> haven't.
>
> Howard
>
> From: <kvahey@comcast.net>
>
>> It is grey in the sense he is paying ExpressVu for service that he
>> should not be able to get. Black market he wouldn't be paying anything
>> after buying hardware like the old cable boxes.
>>

>> On 2/1/08, Paul Hopfgarten <paul@derrynh.net> wrote:
>>> OK, define the difference between a "grey" market and a black market
>>>
>>> -Paul Hopfgarten
>>> -Derry NH

>>> 7 and Grade B for 2. He can't get Portland stations from DirecTV