The future of AM radio

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Feb 1 23:21:03 EST 2008

When WHDH moved to Needham and increased from 5 kW DA-N to 50 kW DA-2
the following stations more-or less between Boston and Denver were
either already on 850 or held CPs for 850: WJW, WKBZ, WEEU, WNAO and
WXKW. The death of WXKW made CKVL possible. Ex-WJW is still there and
now with a killer 50 kW daytime signal, WEEU moved to 830 with much
more power, Johnstown PA with its nine-tower array and 10 kW-U came
along a quarter century or so ago, Norfolk VA (which took the heritage
WTAR calls from 790 a few years back) is now also there with 50 kW D
and 25 kW N (six towers at night).

As one of only three Class IB channels with no fulltime Class I
station east of the Mississipi (the main other one was 680), 850 was a
very popular home for multiple high-power fulltime AMs in the
Northeast and mid-Atlantic states. (1070 didn't exactly count because
of the need to protect CBA in addition to KNX. On 1070, the closest
full-timer to CBA is in north-central PA, but the frequency is
chock-a-block full with ex-Class IIs in the midwest all the way to KS
as well as VA, NC, and places further south.

Probably because the daytime signals had somewhat more reach on the
lower 680 frequency, there weren't quite as many 680s as 850s in the
same geographic area, but it is interesting to note that Boston and
Raleigh both have stations on both frequencies.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367