WALE and KPPC Window Studios

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Feb 1 09:15:19 EST 2008

WBSM and WFHN are still in the strip mall on the main drag in Fairhaven
right off 195.  When I worked there years ago there was a yogurt shop
next door, so you would get kids coming over peering through the glass.
  There was a sizable amount of window space, so there were vertical
blinds that you could close if you so chose.  I normally worked with
them open but quite a few of the jocks there would close them during
their shifts.

When I first started at WILI-AM/FM in Willimantic, CT in the late 80's
they had window studios right on Main Street.  It was always
entertaining doing late nights when the biker bar a few doors down
would let out for the night.  You always got a floor show--Fistfights,
creative urination, etc. When they moved to their present location down
the street, the studios moved to the basement.  But there's still
windows that look out, and the sidewalk is a good 10 feet above the
window line.  There is a low embankment leading from the street to the
studio windows, so you still get the natural light (or dark) but you're
not looking right out into the street.  The windows are tinted so it's
difficult to see in during the day, but at night you can look down into
the studios from the sidewalk.  Unlike WFHN, there are no blinds on
those windows so anyone who walks by can see in at night.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"