WEIM's Ice Storm efforts, part two

mrschuyler@aol.com mrschuyler@aol.com
Wed Dec 31 09:45:41 EST 2008

I wrote:

>The other local AMs, WCMX 1000 Leominster and WFGL
>960 Fitchburg stayed off for days on end.? They didn't have a
>prayer.

Mr. Glavin asked:

>Was this an UNINTENTIONAL pun, or did you you plan it that way,
because both outlets are "religion"-formatted stations.

Jeebus!?I can't believe you asked that, but I've been told we all have our crosses to bear and now we've got Living Proof.?(Well, not yet; it's still just a CP.)

Bill O'Neill seems dubious about the existance of Radio Chyron Operators.?Before falling victims to recent budget cuts, we RCOs were responsible for transcribing all the ultra-right talk shows on the "liberal medium" of AM radio, in an effort to provide closed-captioning for the hearing impaired.?Sadly, we could do nothing for the thinking impaired,?so we've gone the way of the Buggy-Whip Repair Man.

---

One other great thing AM 1280 The Blend did during the storm aftermath was a special show they had probably planned to do anyway.? On the Saturday before Christmas, Ben Parker arranged for a "special satellite hookup" to the North Pole so that local kids could call in and talk to Santa Claus.?That may sound pretty sappy, but you should have heard it.?Santa was in rare form, sounding just a little bit like newsman Scott May.?The kids calls were sometimes quite poignant.?Some just wanted the?electricity to come back.?Some asked for gifts for their siblings.?And some requested their favorite Christmas songs, which were played intermittently throughout this touching, funny, old-fashioned but decidedly NOT corny program.

James Eric Schuyler
king of all tedium