Passing of Joe Kruger

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 00:22:43 EST 2008

I met him years ago and he told me that what kept WHIL-AM alive was an
arrangement with the people who ran bookmaking in New England.

Everyday he would air a half hour show with the race results from
Suffolk, Rockingham or the Providence tracks and every bookie within
50 miles would listen. At the end of the show they would also announce
the 4 digit mutual number that was used as an illegal lottery.

WHIL-FM had a small but loyal cult following when they aired country.