WLFE St. Albans to "pure rock"

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 18:28:41 EST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:26:53 -0500 Bob Nelson
<raccoonradio@mail.com> wrote:

> Apparently WLFE in St Albans VT has changed to "pure
> rock radio" (I think it was country before going
> to Holiday music).

    Indeed it was country for many years before the
change to Holiday music.  IMHO this format change has
been needed for quite some time now.  Last time I
listened to "North Country 102.3 WLFE", they were
bird-fed country and the station in general sounded
incredibly hokey and low-quality for the coverage area
of their signal.  Granted, their signal is tiny
compared to market leader WOKO (98.9 FM), but I
expected a lot more from a station that covers the
immediate Burlington VT and Plattsburgh NY areas
easily.  If they were ever programmed properly, WTNN
(Eagle Country 97.5 FM) should have never been able to
sign on and get a foothold in the market...

    Active Rock would not be my first choice of format
for that neck of the woods, but they won't have any
"true" direct competition for that format (99.9 The
Buzz [WBTZ] is Modern Rock, and pretty much everything
else up there rock related is straight classic rock).
I personally think a direct CHR competitor to WXXX (95
Triple X) would've been a better and more profitable
choice, but we will see how this shakes out.

                              Matt Osborne
                              Schenectady, NY