WFXT-DT power increase?

Alexander Svirsky as@shawsheen.com
Wed Dec 24 11:46:26 EST 2008

Quoting "Peter Q. George" <radiojunkie3@yahoo.com>:

> I agree with Jeff.  Putting two full-powered DTV's a little more
> than 100 miles away from each other is asking for trouble.  I think
> that they (WFXT-DT) would be better off by returning to their
> original dial position on Channel 25.  They've already have an
> antenna cut to Channel 25 on their old analog system.

Didn't WFXT have the option in the beginning to stay on 25?  I thought
that UHFs below channel 52 had the option of returning to their old
allocation in 2009.  But I don't see anything but VHF high-band
stations and WGGB returning to their old dial positions.  Everyone is
doing it.  There must be good reasons?

Reasons to return to VHF high-band and take advantage of its excellent
noise and propagation properties are obvious.  Reasons for low-banders
to move to UHF are also clear.  Why would existing UHFs hop around if
not being kicked out of 700 MHz?  Or why would any UHF want to go UP
in frequency?

WFXT-DT has apparently ended whatever transmissions tests they were
conducting and are now gone, from my point of view, as of Wednesday
morning.  At least it appears that I'll have a usable DT signal from
them in 2009.

--
Alexander Svirsky
http://shawsheen.com/