Meddybemps

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Dec 19 06:06:16 EST 2008

Yesterday, someone mentioned an FM licensed to Meddybemps as a station
that serves Calais. That brought to mind a singing group called the
Meddybempsters, which I believe is the name of long-running a
barbershop quartet or a capella chorus composed of students from Colby
College, which is also in Maine, though I don't believe especially
near Meddybemps. I think I remember hearing a few recordings of the
Meddybempsters on the radio years ago. Perhaps it was Carl deSuze who
played them. I suspect it was he who would mention the name of the
group on the air from time to time. He would say it fast and I could
never quite figure out what he was saying. (I think my best guess was
merry bumpsters.) Anyhow, does the group still exist? I think that
back in those days, Colby was a men's college. Has Colby now gone
co-ed like so many formerly all-male colleges? If so, is there a
female counterpart to the Meddybempsters?  And does one call a
four-person all-women's a capella group a beautyshop quartet?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367