MPBN to close transmitters

Rod OConnor rjoc04679@msn.com
Fri Dec 19 05:52:11 EST 2008

I agree with Dan, If there is one station that is redundant it is WMEP Camden 90.5. WMEH 90.9 Bangor puts a decent signal into Camden and Rockland, And WMEA 90.1 Portland also is fairly strong into Rockland. From here at my place in Southwest harbor, on the southern end of Mount Desert Island I can get 3 MPBN stations, Bangor 90.9, Calais 89.7 and Camden 90.5. When conditions are good I can even get 90.1 from Portland.

As for Calais stations, add the CBC 50-watt repeater on 990AM from Saint Stephen. It's still on the air, (or it was a couple weeks ago, the last time I was down in the area) repeating CBC Radio-1 91.3 from Mount Champlain, NB, between Fredericton and Saint John. It's right across the river from Calais. It gets out a few miles. I could pick it up in Eastport on my car radio.

Also while on my trip down-east a couple weeks ago, I stopped by Shead High School, home of 10-watt Class D WSHD 91.7 Eastport. They should be back up and running again, soon. They have replaced their antenna which blew down last year. They want to resume their automated programming and add more local programming based from the High School.

No sign yet of WUMM on 91.7 from Univ of Maine Machias. I did hear what I thought was their leaky cable-FM signal on 90.3 for a mile or so of the campus.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine