So Near And Yet So Far

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Thu Dec 18 08:07:57 EST 2008

>>Why don't radio station's have back up power anymore? I notice this
especially with AM stations. Last week we had a sub-station blow up in Neptune,  NJ
and WHTG 1410 and WBUD 1310 were off the air during the  outage.<<

It's a substantial expense, both capital (purchase and installation) and operating (ongoing maintenance, periodic testing under load, needed repairs and fuel).  Major stations pay for such things with a few commercials, but stations with small budgets often decide it's not worth the cost vs. the amount of time they're typically off the air due to power outages.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040