Ice Storm + Radio

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:06:09 EST 2008

Correctimundo: AM 1600 in E. Longmeadow is officially WHNP, but as a repeater of
WHMP, you almost never hear those call-letters, sort of like the WGIR stations
in NH.
My test of WUNR-AM while in Downtown Boston and the Back Bay at almost
exactly middday (when the Sun ceases rising and begins to descend, about 11:40
right now) leads me to believe they're running just 5,000 watts.  Shortly
after the residents of Oak Hill Pahk lost their case against the radio
stations with CP's to improve their signals in that neighborhood, I tested WUNR's
signal in daylight (during EDST) and got the feel of how well it was received
in DT Boston and BB.  It's helpful to remember there are no utility poles and
all wiring and cables are underground.  Thus the major interference sources are
buildings, some residential and others commercial, like skyscrapers.
WUNR seemed to have the same characteristics of a station from nearby,
but not primarily a Boston AM station...similar to reception of Lowell's
WCAP-AM in downtown Lawrence.  The reading for WUNR at midday today (Monday)
is the same as it has been for about a week.

BTW, as of Monday afternoon, WCCM-AM 1110 Salem, NH and WDER-AM 1320
Derry, NH were still off the
air.

Something weird: when I view WENH-TV channel 11 on analog, there's a never-
changing slide promoting a Victor Borge set of CD's...when I connect
the digital starter box I use to view MSNBC, channel "11" is back to normal!

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com