DTV issues

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Dec 7 23:15:38 EST 2008

On 7 Dec 2008 at 17:14, Sid Schweiger wrote:

> Play?  Yes.  Record?  Probably not.  The few current models of VCR are
> being sold without tuners, because it's considered a nearly-dead tech
> by the manufacturers.  DVD recorders would need a digital tuner, and
> so far I haven't seen any that have it.

But all I want to do is continue using the VCR and DVD player that I
already have.  I have cable, and I assume that if my VCR (which has
an analog tuner) is connected to cable, I'll still be able to record
shows with it, just as I can watch shows with an analog TV.  And I
assume that if I connect the adaptor to a VCR, it will record a
program just as it always has.

> The few digital TVs I've seen have at least one regular set of line
> inputs (video, audio-L and audio-R) and one set of 480p
> color-separated inputs for a DVD player (labeled Y, Pr and Pb).

Since an older VCR doesn't have those connections, I hope there is a
regular input jack to connect a regular coax.

For that matter, I've occasionally wondered how I would connect a DVD
player to one of my older TVs, which has neither the three-plug video
inputs nor an S-video jack.