What will the Boston television frequencies be after February

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sat Dec 6 23:12:11 EST 2008

At 11:00 PM -0500 12/6/08, TVNETDUDE@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/6/2008 10:32:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>boston-radio-interest-request@tsornin.BostonRadio.org writes:
>
>"WFAA's  analog is on channel 8. A hospital in Dallas was using channel 9,
>then  vacant in the Dallas area, for low-powered medical telemetry
>(heart-rate  monitors and such) - and when WFAA-DT fired up for the first
>time on  channel 9, its signal blew the telemetry signals out of the  water"
>
>I remember this incident well. I assisted my wife with an article  on this
>and the preventative measures a hospital could take to prevent this  from
>happening again. The article was entitled; "Warning: HDTV and telemetry on  a
>collision course" in Nursing Management in 1998.  It blew Baylor
>University Medical
>Center out of the water and cost them $200,000 to fix the  problem. The
>hospital and WFAA was fortunate that no one was injured during the
>outage. Made a
>whopping 75 bucks!

OK, so the real issue is the sudden use of a previously unused
channel (i.e. white space), not the fact that the signal was digital.
But this means there could be new problems on Feb 17 when numerous
stations suddenly fire up on new channels.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH