DTV issues

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Sat Dec 6 12:48:56 EST 2008

Most households have 1, 2 or 3 sets hooked to the cable or satellite and an
equal number of sets that aren't hooked up. I'll bet most of those
converters will go on to old sets located in places around the house that
aren't connected to cable or satellite.

But the point is well taken that a significant number of households, maybe
10% or more will not ever hook to cable or satellite and will use the
off-air signals.

Mark Casey
K1MAP

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Laurence" <marklaurence@mac.com>
To: "Mark Casey" <map@mapinternet.com>; "Boston Radio Interest"
<boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2008 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: DTV issues

On Dec 6, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Mark Casey wrote:

> probably, with cable and satellite in place, off air reception
> won't be
> a very big factor at all . We should see how it works out by next
> spring

As of September, according to the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration, 26 million converter coupons have been
requested and 10 million have been redeemed.  There are about 100
million households in the U.S.  I know there are a lot of variables:
how many people just want something for nothing, how many people
ignore reality until it smacks them in the face.  But any way you
look at it, this is a significant number.