DTV issues

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Sat Dec 6 09:01:54 EST 2008

Some of the issues with DTV. December 5, 2008.

Power--Most DTV stations are not at full power, so a comparison is hard to
make. (WFSB in Hartford is at full power, 1,000,000 watts on CH 33.) Some
stations are running less than 1%, with many less than 10%. But on the FCC's
TV query, you can see where most stations are incrementaly raising power.
Right now things are changing every day. It is a very interesting time in
TV.

Multipath--Will probably greatly improve reception at some locations that
had a slightly ghosty analog signal. However, some locations that had
strong, but unwatchable, or nearly unwatchable analog signal may dissapear
completely with DTV.

VHF high band (7-13) vs. UHF--Lower frequency signals still go over the
horizon and over hills better than high frequency ones. This does not change
for DTV. So, if the reciever is far from the TX site, and not on a hilltop,
VHF might be the best. But, UHF channels get to operate at far higher power,
so even with their lessened porpagation abilities, a channel 14 or 20 might
be a good choice for a station owner to request. Overall, given the
propagation and power factors, I'd say the best channels would be any of the
VHF low band channels (7-13)  or the bottom of the UHF band (14-30). From my
experience, after you get above around Channel 30, the ability of any signal
top get over a hill is degraded that it really affects home reception
severely. If you are line of sight--fine for higher channels, but with a
hill or large building in the way ther are problems. Thes are not major
problems in flat areas of the country, but are problems even with the
smaller hills in the Boston area. I'm 12 miles from Ch 40 & 57 with a small
hill in the way and, no matter how good of an antenna,  (couldn't) watch
either of then but channel 59 in New Haven, at 50 miles,  is clear with no
nearby hills in that direction.

Antenna size--Each element on VHF channel 7 is around 18" , for a total of
36" for 2, at VHF channel 13 its' about 15" , for a total of around 30", at
UHF channel 14, it's about 6" for a total of 12" , while at UHF channel 50
is goes down to around 3 or 4" for maybe 8" across the 2 antenna element
about. So it really depends on what type of antenna you have as to what's
going to be recieved. There was some talk that one of the major antenna
companies would be making a updated antenna sized for channel 7 to 50. Maybe
they have already. That would make sense. Or, in order to cut down on space
needed, maybe you can take the long low band channel 2-6 elements and cut
them down to 18" or so. But, if space is not a consideration and you have an
existing TV antenna that gives good performance on both VHF and UHF there is
no real reason to change.

Class Power Limits--DTV power limits are 20% of Analog. But there is
supposed to be an improvement factor in digital over analog that might make
up for the lower power. Channel 7-13 DTV class limit is 63,200 watts.
Channel 14-50 class limit is 1,000,000 watts.

Decoding--Reciever decoding quality varies greatly with these first and
second generation dtv recievers and converters. Some will not decode a good
signal, some sound but no audio. As the reciever chipsets get better, most
of these problems should g away.

DTV Recievers--Are pretty good. I bought one flashdrive size unit for a
laptop last year. On my friends' kitchen table in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
with a 14" portable antenna we got over 16 digital channels including 5 or 6
out of market signals. For the limited set up we had and the DTV stations
running mostly low power, it was pretty impressive reception. At my location
, so far, every channel that had or has a decently watchable analog signal
and has an operating digital station is recieved fine in digital. However,
two of the snowy analog channels that have DTV channels are not always
received on the digital side. But those DTV's are not at full power yet, so
the jury is till out on those.

Who knows, maybe Ch 7-13 will do for digital what Ch 2-6 did for analog
years ago, maybe not, or maybe it will be Ch 14-20 that will be the best.
Or, probably, with cable and satellite in place, off air reception won't be
a very big factor at all . We should see how it works out by next spring.

Mark Casey
K1MAP
near Springfield, Mass.