The VHF's Return after UHF (was Re: CH 40 Analog was shut down Sun nite)

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Thu Dec 4 01:18:50 EST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 6:32 PM, Peter Q. George wrote:

>  This is a very exciting time in television.

I hope you're right.  I'm thinking "disastrous" for people who don't
live within 20 miles of a transmitter.  I've spent some time plugging
addresses into antennaweb for places I've lived in Central Mass. and
Maine, places that had decent reception from all major networks.
Once you throw the "digital" switch the channel choices drop to a
small handful.  In many towns around Worcester, you'd better learn
Spanish because channel 27 will be your only friend.  In central
Maine, dozens of channels disappear and all you'll get is PBS.  I
live in Boston now, and I still have to move the antenna whenever I
switch between digital channel 4 and the other digital channels.  I
lose the signal if people in the street open a car door, and I live 5
miles away from Needham.  I hope there's plenty of room for
improvement, because many people will need it.