The VHF's Return after UHF (was Re: CH 40 Analog was shut down Sun nite)

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 18:32:54 EST 2008

More than likely, Channel 7 will make the switch to DTV almost instantaneously or a few minutes after midnight on 2/17/09. WHDH probably already has a transfer switch, of sorts, to go between the analog to the digital equipment at the appointed time.  I believe they are going to use the existing analog antenna on Channel 7 for the time being on the top of the tower, then later use a temporary DTV Channel 7 antenna on the old Channel 42 perch (side mounted) and the meantime replace the old Channel 7 antenna to a more efficent model that will handle DTV signal more effectively.  WHDH's Channel 42 DTV will cease to operate at the time of the switch.  WMUR/9 will do a similar situation.  They will use the existing Channel 9 antenna at midnight and simply switch from analog to DTV with simple flick of a switch.  Their old Channel 59 DTV will be switched off at the same time.  I believe WMTW will do the same and return to Channel 8 as a DTV.  This is a very
 exciting time in television.  We've already seen part of transition already.  WGGB/40, WGBY/57, WZMY/50 and more have already made the move to exclusively DTV.  I would not be surprised if others will make an early exit.  We shall see.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"
radiojunkie3@yahoo.com