old WBUR tower torn down

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 11:37:16 EST 2008

There are, well WERE, two towers on the BU campus.  One is the Law
School tower on top of the actual LAW building (that's the proper
capitalization in BU parlance), which is at the west end of Bay State
Road, next to Marsh Chapel and the Library...also right next to Storrow
Drive.  There's a six bay antenna up there on an actual tower-tower on
the roof, it's notable for it's remarkably small guy-wire footprint (out
of necessity) given the height.  I've talked to Mike LeClair (WBUR CE)
about this tower a fair bit over the years, and I remember watching the
crew renovate the tower (mostly replacing fittings and whatnot) while
working at WBUR's current studios (890 Comm Ave) back in 1998.  There's
a reason there's no radomes on that array (or any other antennas,
really) - the tower couldn't take the windload/weightload...although I'm
told it's perfectly safe at the level it's at now.

That array is WBUR's old primary, and now aux site.  Has been since they
moved to Needham/Newton (I think to FM-128 but I always screw those up)
back in the early 1990's, IIRC.  Maybe the late 1980's.  I remember it
was standard policy to fire up the aux site once a month to make sure it
worked properly, and that we had to wait two minutes from startup for
the filaments to warm up properly.  Mike told me that whenever they'd
fire up the aux, they'd get calls from downtown listeners asking why the
signal suddenly got so much better!  :-)  Heh, 50kW ERP of FM from LAW
certainly covers downtown Boston and Cambridge GREAT, but the Needham
tower is much better for overall coverage of the region.

Come to think of it, that was before WBUR's HD transmitter went in, so I
wonder if that old tube beast is still there or if it was finally
retired?  I know it was used when the HD transmitter was installed a few
years back, and again when the new DA for WBUR at Needham/Newton was put
in about 2-3 years ago.

Anyways, the tower that was taken down was on top of the COM building
(College of Communication...formerly known as the School of Public
Communication/SPC and before that known as the School of Public & Radio
Communication/SPRC) at 640 Comm Ave, next door to the three-spired dorm
Warren Towers at 700 Comm Ave.  That was, WAY back in the day, the
original tower for WBUR's transmitter - before the LAW tower was built.
  But it hasn't been used for anything since WBUR moved their studios to
890 Comm Ave (current home) from 630 Comm Ave (which is technically part
of 640's building, but had a separate address so the USPS would send
WBUR's mail straight to WBUR staff instead of running it through BU's
mail system).  Prior to that move, there was a microwave STL dish up
there, out to Needham/Newton...and an old two-way whip that I think was
police or fire, but wasn't in use.

FWIW, the old WBUR studios (and a little of their offices) in the "630"
part of the third floor are now the campus/web-only station's: WTBU.
But they use 640 Comm Ave as their address because of the campus mail
connection.  The whole WTBU-at-640AM-now-in-640-Comm-Ave is a
coincidence; WTBU used the old 640 AM CONELRAD frequency for its
carrier-current transmitters long before the COM building was the COM
building (it used to be a car dealership way back in the day, and until
1997 had the old automobile lift still in place as a freight elevator).
   Prior to WTBU being in COM, they were in the basement of the Myles
Annex dorm (former Graham Jr. College - I know I'm misspelling that),
and before that in a different place in the main Myles Standish dorm,
and before that in a now-demolished space in the GSU Student Union where
the ballroom and pipe organ now are.