Prog. talk revived on WWZN

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:00:30 EST 2008

WWZN 1510 debuted the Jeff Santos show today, though some people may have had to turn their clock radio in
one direction or another to get a clear signal. In the 7-8 am hour, he had Robin Bergman on--Bergman was one
of the people who had worked for the past two years to get "progressive talk" back on the air.

The WWZN webpage, which AFAIK hasn't been updated yet (it wasn't earlier today) lists Steve Sweeney as having a show 9-10 am. If that's the case, kind of ironic, as Sweeney was known years ago for his imitations of Kevin White--and White was on during Santos 8-9 am hour! I had that on for just a minute or so--he
was asking the former mayor if he was keeping up on things with a computer, etc.

Should WWZN (kudos for actually having a daily local show! WXKS/WKOX didn't) try to appeal to more than just the progressive
"base"? The idea of reaching out to others is interesting. One would think that this area is solidly progressive but the right-leaning shows in town have had some success, perhaps with some who might be conservative either socially or fiscally. There's the rub: only appeal to the hard left, or be inclusive?
The same goes with the political parties; right after the most recent election, some on the hard right said that McCain was mushy, Republican-in-name-only, and only a true conservative would be able to win instead of
someone trying to reach to other constituencies. Hmm. As for radio, I'd think it would have to reach out to some moderates at least, and maybe some of the other stations in town are at least throwing a bone to the left (Eagan and Braude? Leveille? Even "Democracy Now!" on some college stations) The thing is to make it entertaining and informative.

I would suggest that politics and politics only probably isn't a wise bet. Can a Santos do some hours on
general interest topics, as folks like Howie will do? HC doesn't just do local or national politics. He'll talk
TV with Max Robins, interview an Al Kooper or a Mike Love, talk about  "things in Boston that are gone",
"what was your worst car", etc. Surely that would bring folks of all political stripes in--you can't live
by politics alone. You have to lighten it up a bit. I guess Stephanie Miller was doing some of that;
I know she did back in her days with a syndicated show that WRKO carried.