Mustard and Johnson axed by WEEI

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Aug 31 12:02:35 EDT 2008

No way, no how can 1200's 50 kW signal provide coverage that is in the
same league as 850's. First off, the frequency is 40% higher, which,
from a coverage standpoint, reduces the coverage area by something
close to a factor of two. Second, the 1200 towers are less than
quarter-wavelength, whereas 850's are approximately half wavelength,
making 850's effective power essentially about double 850's. Third,
although I don't know what 850's NIF contour is supposed to be, I
would be amazed to learn that it was much higher than 5 mV/m, because
850 is a VERY old station. 1200's NIF is 13.<something> mV/m. Of the
five Boston-area AMs (680, 850, 1030, 1200, 1510) that will be running
50 kW-U, 1200 will have the poorest coverage. The most nearly
comparable signal is 1510, whose taller towers more-or-less compensate
for its higher frequency. NIF calculations now include contributions
from first adjacents (1500 and 1520 for 1510), so 1510's once very low
calculated NIF is probably a lot higher now than it was back in the
day. 1200 will take it on the chops from 1200 in Philadelphia,
however. But since that station is ND, whereas 1500 and 1520 are
directional toward Boston, the first-adjacent effect won't be as bad
for 1200 as it is for 1510. 1200 has a bunch of stations that cause
co-channel interference, however. Ottawa, N Syracuse, and Leesburg VA
are the worst. Leesburg has applied to move to 1190, however, so that
may disappear in due course, but don't hold your breath.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367