Capt. Red Slavit, Frequent Guest On Larry Glick's Show, Passes Away

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Aug 30 11:22:25 EDT 2008

  Retired Haverhill MA Harbormaster Capt. William "Red" Slavit passed away
Friday in Haverhill at the age of 86. He was well known not only in the
Haverhill area for saving countless lives during his over 25 year tenure as
harbormaster, but was a friend and frequent guest of Larry Glick on his WBZ
radio show. Glick told the Lawrence Eagle Tribune that Slavit was probably
one of the most interesting guests he had on his show.

   I also had the pleasure to meet Capt. Red when I was working at the
former WHAV in Haverhill, as he frequently appeared on the air there as
well. One cold Winter evening, I was board op for the late Bill Pike's "Open
Mike" show, when a few minutes into the show I heard pounding on the front
door of the station building. I ran to the door to find Capt. Red, telling
me he had just rescued someone from the river and he needed to get on the
air with Bill Pike right away to share the details. Naturally I let him in,
and he entered the studio to tell the story on the air.

  More in this article from the Eagle Tribune website:

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_242233759.html

Mark Watson