Arbitron's sampling methodology isFARmoreimportantthanMrorMrsDePetro's misdeeds

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Aug 24 12:39:53 EDT 2008

Many smaller market stations I've worked with that sell on the
ratings usually quote a four book rolling average.  This tends to
even out the big swings that inevitably happen from book to book.
Obviously format changes have to be taken into account when doing
this, but it's a fairly accurate gauge of what's happening in the
market over an extended period of time.  It makes clients more
comfortable buying time on a station rather than trying to explain
why the ratings swung from a 7 share in the previous fall book to a 4
share in the spring book then back up to a 6.5 in the current book.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"