Arbitron's sampling methodologyisFARmoreimportantthanMrorMrsDePetro's misdeeds

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sat Aug 23 22:06:32 EDT 2008

Right now Arbitron has no plans to roll out the PPM beyond the top 50
markets, so Hartford will be the smallest market using this
methodology.  There are many statistical criteria they have to meet
when placing PPM meters, including representation of various age
demos, minority groups, geographic placement around the market etc.
The biggest complaint with the PPM thus far is that certain groups
are under-represented in the results, particularly persons 18-34 and
minorities.  This was the case in Philadelphia and in New York, where
ratings for AC and oldies stations soared in the PPM while Urbans,
CHR's and Spanish stations plunged in relation to the diary.  As time
has gone on and the troublesome cell targets have been properly
populated, the data looks much better, albeit not perfect.

Despite all the flaws, PPM will eventually be far superior to the
diary.   Most people will only write in a couple of stations each day
or week, but in reality they are exposed to many more.  Plus, keep in
mind that eventually PPM ratings will include non-comms and satellite
radio stations.  Think about it.  You go out to do errands on a
Saturday.  You head to the auto parts store to pick up oil for the
car.  You're in there for 10-20 minutes and they're playing WAAF.
That gets reported.  Then you go to Trader Joe's to pick up something
for dinner and they're playing Sirius 18 The Spectrum (AAA).  That's
recorded too.  Then, maybe a trip to the bookstore and they have on
WBUR.  Yup, that's credited.  Compare that to the average diarykeeper
who would probably write down that they listened to WMJX the entire
time of the trip since that's what was playing in the car.  That
makes up for occasionally leaving the meter idle somewhere and it
shutting itself off.  PPM ratings in Philly have already shown that
average listenership goes through the roof on Eagles flagship WYSP
during games and drops back down to normal soon after.  This is very
useful data that can be turned around quickly, something that can't
be done with diaries.

It is Arbitron and it will never be perfect, but eventually PPM will
surpass the diary.  They've just got to work through a few more bugs
in the system.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"