Arbitron's sampling methodology is FARmoreimportantthanMrorMrsDePetro's misdeeds

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 13:45:51 EDT 2008

>> However, typically, they have been pretty accurate.
>
> True.  But I do not think the comparison to radio ratings is valid.  It is
> one thing to ask people who they voted for minutes after they voted.  It
> is another thing entirely to track radio listening through self-reporting.

Like voting, most people like to feel their input matters, and like telling
who they like or don't like...be it in politics or media.

99.99% of the population do not have any ulterior motive beyond telling
arbitron who they like and don't like...who they listen to and who they
don't.

When responding to the question, do you or anyone in your household work in
the media or affilliated companies......the person answering the phone
doesn't know what the call is about....so media households are elminated at
the get-go.

> In any case, my point was not on the polling methods but the flaw of the
> whole system being based on the honesty of radio and advertising people.
>
> There is too much money at stake for people not to cheat.

The consequences for cheating....delisting, being reported below the line,
having valid diary entries deleted has typically been enough of a deterrant.

Plus the thought of never working in the industry again.

It will be interesting to see if Arbitron is done with this....and what
becomes of Depetro.

Anyway with PPM...the subject is moot in less than a year.