Larry Glick, PS

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Aug 16 00:01:07 EDT 2008

<<On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 02:31:22 -0400, Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> said:

> When I write for Wikipedia (or correct one of their essays), I offer
> footnotes and/or works cited.

There aren't supposed to be any essays in Wikipedia... that would
count as "original research" (or [[WP:NOR]] as they usually spell it).

A lot of the broadcasting-related stuff is pretty weak, though.
There's a tension between the desire to cover everything (all 12,000
stations in the U.S. and thousands more in every other country)
because "Wiki is not paper", and the requirement for verifiability.
(There may well not be any reliable third-party source that describe
which particular flavor of satellite religion some rural LPFM is
broadcasting, and even if there is, it might only be accessible, and
thus verifiable, to those who live in the community that station
serves.)  I think the regular editors of the radio and television
articles do care about getting it right, but nobody is really sure
what the right thing is going to turn out to be, or how much that will
fit with the Wikimedia Foundation's mission.  There's also the problem
of fanboyism, although that's more of an issue with games and anime
and porn stars than it is with broadcasting.  (What's the average age
of otaku these days?)

-GAWollman