CBS Selling off 50 Stations

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 08:19:41 EDT 2008

> Question whether, if WTIC becomes a WEEI affiliate, WVEI becomes
> superfluous.  I think WTIC's signal reaches well up the Pioneer
> Valley.  I've even heard it around Boston.

During the day, quite possibly.  But I've driven east and west along
the Pike (back and forth between Boston and Rochester) several times
at different times of the day.  At night the WTIC groundwave doesn't
even reach the MassPike, and the skywave bounce doesn't start for
several dozen more miles beyond it (probably not until the Vermont
border).  And "by night" is a fluid concept here...even as much as an
hour before sunset there can be significant interference creeping in.
My experience was, even with a good radio, that after dark you can't
get WTIC from just south of Albany until Worcester (at least).

I would think WVEI would still be a necessary component.

The only thing I see that WTIC-AM would bring to an WEEI cluster is
the clear channel "covering most of the northeast at night" thing.
That's kinda useless from a local billing perspective, but I suppose
it adds bragging rights and thus boosts the value of the cluster as a
whole.