CBS Selling off 50 Stations

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Aug 4 14:40:59 EDT 2008

Sounds like WZMX has a sales problem, not a format problem.  It
shouldn't be that difficult.  Hartford has higher black and hispanic
populations than Boston, and in a few years one out of every four
people there will be non-white.  If they're in the top 3 18-49 doing
rhythmic and reaching suburban audiences as well, they should be
making a lot more than 4-5 million a year.

Historically CBS Radio doesn't handle rhythmic & urban stations well
as a company.  Sure, they own urbans in DC and Baltimore that do
well, but those are heritage signals (with longtime accounts) that
were built long before CBS bought them.   I'd be willing to bet if
Clear Channel owned WZMX they'd be billing a lot better.  They know
the format and how to sell it.

Also keep in mind that for most of last year WZMX had direct format
competition from WPHH (now WURH.)  I'm sure most of 104.1's
advertising base moved over to WZMX once they flipped to
alternative.  WZMX shot back up to the 7 share range right after
that.  93.7 should leapfrog over a few stations in the billing race
next year.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"