CBS Selling off 50 Stations

Alan Tolz atolz@comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 19:55:16 EDT 2008

Yes, I am still part of the Marlin team, but I chose to put the question out
there purely from a strategic and hypothetical point of view.

As to valuations for those properties, the CBS stations in Hartford were
last "valued" by Jim Duncan when they changed hands from ARS to CBS.  Those
valuations were:

WRCH - $73,000,000
WTIC FM - $42,000,000
WTIC AM - $21,000,000
WZMX FM - $20,000,000

That was in 1996.  The trading multiple at that time was roughly 16.5X 12
months trailing BCF.

We were the last FM sold in Hartford, from Marlin, Inc. to Marlin, LLC for
$20,000,000 in 2000.

Today, even a dominant cluster in a mid-sized market would do well to fetch
11X BCF.  That might revalue the cluster as follows:

WRCH - $50,000,000
WTIC FM - $27,000,000
WTIC AM - $18,000,000
WZMX FM - $15,000,000

$110,000,000 for approx. $10,000,000 in BCF.

Not exactly a fire sale, but it's clear to see why radio stocks continue to
take a beating in public trading.

As for WURH, I think they  - Bain & Lee through the Aloha Trust - will try
to sell that as a stick to a Spanish operator as the sole member of the
Trust is a woman who was the CFO for Entravision for some time and she is
well versed in Spanish format radio.  David Tomm hit the nail on the head in
his response.

Alan