CBS Selling off 50 Stations

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Aug 3 00:04:25 EDT 2008

It won't affect Boston, but Hartford will surely be sold.  They
currently have four stations in the Insurance City, and all of them
are in the Top 5 12+.  They include news/talk WTIC, Mainstream AC
WRCH, Hot AC WTIC-FM and Rhythmic WZMX.  With the national radio
market being saturated with unsold stations, most radio groups
bottoming out on stock price and the lending crunch, I can't CBS
getting top dollar for these properties, even though they are the
most successful in the state.

Some group could land a bargain there, if they can get the financing
together.  I doubt that Citadel will be a player and Clear Channel
has stations there already.  That cluster may be too much for a
smaller group like Regent or Nassau to finance in this economy.  This
would be a great market for Entercom or Greater Media to enter.  Cox
has stations in New Haven and on Long Island, so adding Hartford
would seem to make sense for them as well.

Those four signals aren't the only ones on the block right now.
Alternative WURH, currently owned by Clear Channel, has to be spun
off as part of the company going private and is currently in a
trust.  That's a signal I could easily see a Univision or SBS picking
up and taking Spanish.  It will be interesting to see who buys these
all stations and if it means a lot of changes in the market going
forward.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"