NASCAR trumps end of Sox-Yanks

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 21:46:09 EDT 2008

Bob Nelson wrote:

> After a two hour rain delay, Jonathan Papelbon comes onto > shut down the
> Yankees. There are two outs in
> the top of the ninth, Sox up by one--and suddenly the >picture on Fox
> switches to NASCAR auto racing.

   As Fox was promoting all afternoon during the Sox-Yankees game, the
NASCAR race coverage was scheduled for an 8PM Eastern start. Obviously the 2
+ hour rain delay is something that can't be predicted in advance. When the
game was halted Fox shifted to the other game of the week they were
carrying, Arizona/Colorado, which was in the 9th inning and was over not
long after it was joined. I had some other stuff to tend to in the house,
and when I was channel surfing just after 8, I saw the NASCAR pre-race show
on Fox, so I figured the Sox game had ended. A few minutes later, I was
surprised to see the Sox game just resuming, with constant reminders that
the NASCAR race will start after the game's conclusion. When the game was
abruptly switched to NASCAR, the race had already started and was in the 2nd
lap, which made it obvious NASCAR wasn't waiting for the Sox game to end and
they just went ahead and dropped the green flag. Or did Fox tell NASCAR to
start?

Mark Watson