AC Hum problem

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Apr 7 00:38:14 EDT 2008

Thanks to everyone who answered by AC Hum question, on and off the
list.  I can't think of any changes to the system since I last used
this patch cord.  I've tried reversing a few plugs, the few that
aren't polarized, and that didn't help.  I'm going to try the
suggestion of running an extension and operating the stereo from the
same circuit as the computer.

The plugs on the patch cord are old-style large-size stereo earphone
plugs and jacks, so that the cord plugs into the earphone jack on my
stereo.  There's a patch cord connected to my sound card that has a
smaller plug on one end to connect to the sound card and a larger
plug on the other end to plug into the jack at the end of the patch
cord -- which is actually two patch cords connected together, because
that's what I need to cover the distance.  I've tried wiggling all
the connections.  No dice.  Part of the problem is that I can't quite
hear the hum from the computer speakers when I'm in the livingroom.