Lobel , Kulhawik all done at Channel 4

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Apr 5 00:40:13 EDT 2008

<<On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:47:13 -0400, David Tomm <nostaticatall@charter.net> said:

> There are way too many rock, classic hits, AC and talk stations in
> the region.

Which AC stations would those be?  I only count two (of which one,
WPLM-FM, is barely in the market).  And of the two talk stations,
which one do you blow up?  (One could argue that WRKO is already doing
that quite well without outside help, thank you very much.)

> Rhythmic and urban stations skew too young and don't bill well.
> There's not enough of a hispanic population here to make a spanish
> language format profitable.

I'm sure that's news to the people leasing time on 950, 1150, 1230,
1300, 1330, and 1360.  Here's a rundown of communities in the Boston
market with higher than statewide average Hispanic population:

Boston		14.4%		84,836
Brockton	 8.0%		 7,544
Chelsea		48.4%		16,979
Everett		 9.5%		 3,614
Framingham	10.9%		 7,293
Haverhill	 8.8%		 5,189
Lawrence	59.7%		43,009
Lowell		14.0%		14,723
Lynn		18.4%		16,385
Salem		11.2%		 4,525
Somerville	 8.8%		 6,818
--------------	-----		------
Total		 N/A	       210,915

Outlying communities:
Clinton		11.6%		 1,558
Fitchburg	15.0%		 5,865
Leominster	11.0%		 4,543
Southbridge	23.9%		 3,077
Worcester	15.1%		26,069
---------------	-----		------
Total		 N/A		41,112

Or, if you want to go by county:

Essex		11.0%		 79,576
Middlesex	 4.6%		 67,408
Norfolk		 1.8%		 11,706
Plymouth	 2.4%		 11,348
Suffolk		15.5%		106,920
Worcester	 6.8%		 51,065
Total		 N/A		328,023

(Bearing in mind that these are Census 2000 numbers and thus well
outdated by now.)  In an old Globe article I found, WUNI claims an
audience of about 300,000 for the climax episode of a telenovela --
but it's not clear if this claim is just for channel 27 or also
includes other Univision affils in New England.

If Boston can support two Spanish-language TV stations, surely it
could support a Spanish-language FM.

-GAWollman