Carl Moore WEEI

Russ Butler songbook2@comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 16:39:59 EDT 2008

He had his "Beantown Varieties" show on WEEI 590AM, a live one hour
music show with vocalist Gloria Carroll and the orchestra (it may also
have been Don Alessi's quintet as well as being on WHDH?  Sounds right
to me in those days!).

In the late-1940's, Carl had the morning show from 8 to 9 a.m. with Tom
Russell doing news, etc. I sat in on a couple of broadcasts in the
studio on Tremont Street in the E-E-I, Edison Electrical Illuminating
building (now the WERS broadcast center, I think)  My Mom was a
telephone-receptionist at WEEI then so I had studio access, and that was
a big deal for a teenager to see a live radio show, just like when we
went to NYC and visited NBC and others for live radio-tv broadcasts..

There's an LP of Carl's Irish and other little "ditties" he'd play on
the piano and sing (? well he didn't have a great voice but put the song
over) and some duet tracks with Gloria Carroll.  Tom Heathwood may know
of that LP (Tom Heathwood may know where that 12" LP is).  Ah, the
memories linger on!

=Russ Butler  songbook2@comcast.net

PS// Does everyone know that Don Alessi has a talented son, Jack Alessi?

*JACK *ALESSI**
Originally from the *Boston* area, Jack began his musical career as a
drummer in the early sixties working with his father, guitarist, *Don*
*Alessi*. During the late sixties and early seventies Jack landed the
coveted spot of M.C. at the Famous Monticello Night Club in Framingham,
MA. Jack has performed with and opened for Tony Bennett, Vicki Carr,
Jerry Lewis, Louis Armstrong, Jimmy Durante, The Mills Brothers and many
others. He has been the featured vocalist and toured with such big bands
as Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, and Stan Kenton. It was Jack Alessi's
concept of the "3 Swinging Tenors" that brought this trio together.