is broadcasting broken beyond repair?

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Wed Apr 2 10:43:54 EDT 2008

Kevin, I think everything you're saying is right on target:
<what is happening at WBZ is no different than what we are seeing at the
Globe and with radio.>

Not long ago in this forum, I voiced an observation that I wondered how
broadcasting schools will fare in the long run, given that there are very
few openings in broadcasting nowadays.   The whole face of the industry has
changed.  I suspect the situation is much the same for journalism majors.

. . . And yet, I would offer a prediction: it will be the small-town
stations and the small-town newspapers that will survive the longest.  They
fulfill the unique role of providing local news, sports and weather coverage
that aren't covered --- or adequately covered --- by other media.  It's
worthy of note that the number of weekly newspapers in Maine has grown in
recent years, while the Blethens are selling their three Maine dailies
because they're bleeding money.  The Bangor Daily News has also suffered
layoffs in recent years, but remains relatively strong because it serves
such an enormous rural area.

As for radio in metro areas, I stand by an earlier contention I made some
time ago: part of the problem, though by no means all, is that there are
simply too many radio stations.

-Doug