is broadcasting broken beyond repair?

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 09:25:57 EDT 2008

The cuts at 1170 SFR are devastating to both the staff and what
remaining viewers the station has.

I still watched 4 in most part because of Lobel and Jack Williams.
Lobel may have gone downhill the past few years and had far less air
time but if something broke he was still the best source in the city.
Joyce opened the arts to all and will be missed as well. It's funny 20
years ago I was dating a woman who didn't own a TV and she screamed
when she saw Joyce on TV because she was her english teacher at
Brookline High a decade before. Joyce was local.

Still the TV financial model is broken. There is something wrong when
NESN brings in more revenue through cable fees than the VHF's can
generate through ads.

what is happening at WBZ is no different than what we are seeing at
the Globe and with radio.

Back in 1981 Chuck Scarboro who years ago was an anchor at channel 7
wrote a novel and the premise was that MIT had developed a computer
program to make the perfect virtual anchorman. It seemed laughable at
the time but now I see a day when we will get our news from avatars
instead of humans. Same will apply to radio.....who needs humans.