Prov. shuffle: Rush, Buddy, etc

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Thu Sep 6 15:46:48 EDT 2007

September 20th is the first day of the fall book, which is why those
midweek dates are there.

My question is, did Clear Channel choose not to renew Rush on WPRO or
was it Citadel?  WHJJ has had it's problems over the last few years,
and a mostly local lineup of talkers hasn't worked for them.  Then they
lost Imus.  Outside of Helen Glover, who is a marginal host at best but
has somewhat of a following in the market, what else did that station
have?  CC/Providence has been competing against Rush for years, despite
being distributed by co-owned Premiere.  They may have just decided to
finally bring Rush in-house to stabilize the station.

Or, it could be possible that WPRO dropped him.   The bulk of his
audience is rapidly entering 55+ land and Citadel may have decided to
go with local hosts that appeal to younger demos.  WPRO is also the
news and information station for the market, and they may have wanted a
more local lineup to help reinforce that image.   WBAL in Baltimore
dropped Rush last year for the same reasons.

Looking at the Boston situation, I doubt that CC will move it's
syndicated talkers to WKOX until the signal upgrade to 50,000 watts is
complete.  If 1200 doesn't have at least a comparable signal to WRKO
during Rush's time slot, they won't risk putting him on a weaker stick,
even if it is a CC property.  If anything, I could see Premiere not
renewing with WRKO and trying to get the show cleared on WTKK.  Why
would they want to keep Rush on that sinking ship?  A lineup of Howie,
Egan & Braude, Rush, Severin, and Graham Crackers at night would put
WRKO out of it's misery once and for all.  Caliente 680, anyone?

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"